Class 6 Science Notes Chapter 2 Components of Food
The different topics covered in CBSE Class 6 Science Chapter 2 are tabulated below:
|Section Name||Topic Name|
|Ex. 2||Components of Food|
|Ex 2.1||What do Different Food Items Contain?|
|Ex 2.2||What do Various Nutrients do For Our Body?|
|Ex 2.3||Balanced Diet|
|Ex 2.4||Deficiency Diseases|
Ex – 2. Components of Food
A nutrient can be defined as components that our body needs to grow, survive and carry on different daily activities. Our food contains mainly five major kinds of nutrients namely vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, proteins and fats. Additionally, food also contains water and dietary fibres/roughage and water which are also required by our bodies.
Ex – 2.1 – What Do Different Food Items Contain?
Foods have energy and non-energy components.
Our cells need energy (calories) to function. The energy components of food include:
- carbohydrates (sugars and starches)
- lipids (fats)
The non-energy components include:
- dietary fibre
Carbohydrates : Carbohydrates are the body’s main source of energy and the sole fuel for the brain.
Proteins : Proteins are necessary for building, repairing and renewing all the organs of the body.
Fats : Fats, also called lipids, play a role in the transport of certain vitamins and provide the body with essential fatty acids.
Fats are found in:
- meat and cured meats (deli meats)
- poultry skin
- fried foods
- nuts and seeds
- butter and oils
- sauces, salad dressings (vinaigrettes), mayonnaise
When eaten in excess, fats, particularly saturated and trans fats, can lead to high blood cholesterol levels and obesity.
Vitamins and Minerals : The daily required amounts of vitamins and minerals is low but essential to life.
The body’s daily need for vitamins and minerals is generally satisfied by a balanced diet that includes a variety of foods from each food group.
No single food contains all essential vitamins and minerals in sufficient amounts to meet the body’s needs. That is why it is vital to eat different foods each day.
|Sources of different Vitamins|
|Vitamin A||Carrot, Mango, Papaya|
|Vitamin C||Tomato, Guava, Lemon, Orange|
|Vitamin B||Rice, wheat|
|Vitamin D||Liver, fish, milk, butter|
Ex – 2.2 – What do Various Nutrients Do For Our Body?
People obtain energy from food. We need energy all the time, when we run, jump, sing, and even when we sleep. We produce all the energy we need by eating. The structural components that make up the human body, such as muscles, organs, and bones, are also composed of the nutrients contained in food. This is why eating and taking in the nutrients that provide energy and become the components of our bodily structures is essential for sustaining human life.
Ex – 2.3 – Balance Diet
4 Reasons for you to start a balanced diet right away
- The vitamins and minerals you consume from a wider range of foods help maintain your cells, tissues, and organs.
- A good diet keeps you fit, allows you to maintain a healthy weight, reduces the fat percentage in your body, and gives you energy.
- Proper nutrition leads to improved immunity, thus ensuring that you don’t fall sick too often.
- A well-balanced meal helps in improved brain functions and keeps your mind active.
Ex – 2.4 – Deficiency Diseases
Deficiency Diseases occur in our body due to lack of nutrient supply over a long period of time.
Listed below are a few deficiencies caused as a result of lack of nutrients.
|Name of Nutrient||Disorder caused||Symptoms|
|Vitamin C||Scurvy||Takes a long time to heal, bleeding gums|
|Calcium||Tooth decay and bone||Tooth infections, Weak bones|
- Nutrients are chemical components in food that are required for releasing energy and help in growth. Carbohydrates and fats mainly provide energy to our bodies.
- The major nutrients in our food are carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals. In addition, food also contains dietary fibres and water.
- Proteins and minerals are needed for the growth and maintenance of our body.
- Starch and sugar are the two kinds of carbohydrates found in food.
- Carbohydrates and fats mainly provide energy.
CBSE Notes for Class 6 Science Free Download for All Chapters
|CBSE Class 6 Science Study Notes||CBSE Class 6 Science Study Notes|
|Food: Where Does It comes from? Class 6 notes – Chapter 1||The Living Organisms And their Surroundings Class 6 notes – Chapter 9|
|Component of Food Class 6 notes – Chapter 2||Motion and Measurement of Distances Class 6 notes – Chapter 10|
|Fibre to Fabric Class 6 notes – Chapter 3||Light, Shadows and Reflection Class 6 notes – Chapter 11|
|Sorting Materials Into Groups Class 6 notes – Chapter 4||Electricity and Circuits Class 6 notes – Chapter 12|
|Separation of Substances Class 6 notes – Chapter 5||Fun with Magnets Class 6 notes – Chapter 13|
|Changes around Us Class 6 notes – Chapter 6||Water Class 6 notes – Chapter 14|
|Getting to Know Plants Class 6 notes – Chapter 7||Air Around Us Class 6 notes – Chapter 15|
|Body Movements Class 6 notes – Chapter 8||Garbage In, Garbage Out Class 6 notes – Chapter 16|
Learn with best notes,free videos,practice questions and mock tests with School Connect Online for free demo click here